Dixie Hollins @ Boca Ciega
Northeast @ Clearwater
Countryside @ St. Petersburg
Dunedin @ Lennard
Palm Harbor @ East Lake
Gibbs @ Blake
Lakewood @ Spoto
Largo @ Tarpon Springs
Osceola @ Lakewood Ranch
Seminole @ Pinellas Park
AFA @ Cambridge Christian
Carrollwood Day @ Calvary Christian
Northside Christian @ Canterbury
SPC @ CCC
IRC @ Shorecrest
Keswick Christian @ Bradenton Christian
By GARY FINEOUT
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston said Wednesday that it is completed.
State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a
news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday in his
office to announce his findings. Meggs said
investigators have learned as much as they
can about the December 2012 incident.
"We think we have exhausted all investigative
tools," he said.
Winston has led the Seminoles to the
No. 1 ranking, and they will play for a
conference title Saturday, with a shot at
the national crown.
The quarterback also is the leading candidate for the Heisman, and many voters are waiting to see whether Winston will be charged with a crime before casting their ballots. The deadline for Heisman ballots to be turned in is Dec. 9.
ESPN has previously reported that DNA belonging to Winston was found in the underwear of the accuser. A lawyer for Winston has suggested that the star quarterback and the accuser had consensual sex. But the family of the victim has accused the 19-year-old of rape.
Meggs has said he wanted to make sure prosecutors completed a thorough investigation before making a final decision. He has also said several times that it's up to prosecutors to determine whether there is a "reasonable" chance of conviction.
The fact that Meggs has scheduled a news conference - as opposed to getting a warrant for Winston's arrest - could be seen as a sign that he will not file charges.
Timothy Jansen, the attorney representing Winston, said he does not know what Meggs will announce.
"We're hoping and waiting like everyone else, and we believe the evidence will exonerate Mr. Winston," Jansen said.
Patricia Carroll, the attorney representing the accuser, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The alleged sexual assault was first reported to police in December. The family has said the victim did not know the identity of her attacker until early January, when she identified him as Winston.
The family has been sharply critical of the way Tallahassee police have handled the case. The family says they pushed to have a DNA sample taken from Winston only to be told by a police detective that it would alert Winston and make the case public.
Tallahassee police have defended their handling of the case and said it was placed on inactive status in February after police were told the alleged victim did not wish to prosecute the case. Carroll has denied that the woman wanted to drop the investigation.
The alleged victim was an FSU student during the December incident, but she left school after Carroll was told by police that information about the case was about to be released to the media.
Associate athletics director for communications Rob Wilson said the university did not have any comment Wednesday. The university is expected to address the matter sometime after Meggs' press conference.
Florida State policy dictates that a student-athlete is suspended from game action if charged with a felony until the charge is resolved "absent extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration."
Winston was named Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year, offensive player of the year and rookie of the year this week after setting ACC freshman records with 3,490 passing and 35 touchdowns.
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's ill-timed two-step has cost him $100,000 and could cost his team a pick in next year's draft.
The league fined Tomlin $100,000 on Wednesday for
interfering with a play against the Baltimore Ravens
The NFL also said it would consider docking Pittsburgh
a draft pick ''because the conduct affected a play on
Tomlin was not penalized during the game for a rule
violation. He called the play ''embarrassing,
inexcusable, illegal and a blunder'' on Tuesday but
stressed it was not intentional.
''I apologize for causing negative attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization,'' Tomlin said in a statement Wednesday. ''I accept the penalty that I received. I will no longer address this issue as I am preparing for an important game this Sunday against the Miami Dolphins
In the third quarter of the Ravens' 22-20 win last Thursday, Tomlin was standing on the restricted white border between the sideline and field during Jacoby Jones' kickoff return. Jones had to swerve to avoid colliding with the coach and was tackled after a 73-yard return that might have gone for a touchdown if not for the obstruction. Tomlin briefly stepped onto the field before he jumped back.
Tomlin said Tuesday he was ''mesmerized'' by watching the return on the video board and would accept any repercussions for his actions.
''I don't know what a just punishment is,'' he said Tuesday. ''I have no idea. I'm not acting in a way to preserve my wallet and my money. My wallet and my money is what it is because of the game of football.''
The NFL fined the New York Jets $100,000 in 2010 when cameras caught strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi tripping a Miami player on the sideline. Alosi was suspended by the Jets and eventually resigned after the season.
Tomlin's job is not in jeopardy and he said Tuesday he had not spoken to team owners Dan and Art Rooney II about the situation.
''I would imagine if the Rooneys thought that I was capable of that or they thought my intentions were that, I wouldn't be sitting at this table talking to you guys,'' he said.
By TOM WITHERS
AP Sports Writer
BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Browns defensive end Desmond
Bryant's season has ended because of an irregular
heartbeat that will require surgery.
Bryant, who signed a five-year, $34 million contract as
a free agent with Cleveland in March, reported symptoms
on Monday morning, a team spokesman said. Bryant played
in Sunday's game against Jacksonville and was credited with
four pressures on Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne.
The Browns said Bryant will undergo "a minor heart
procedure" this week. He is expected to make a full
recovery and resume his playing career.
Bryant was taken out of an Oct. 3 game against Buffalo in the third quarter complaining of shortness of breath. He was hospitalized overnight at The Cleveland Clinic with an irregular heartbeat. It was the second such episode for Bryant, who left a game last year with Oakland and was hospitalized for an irregular heartbeat. Both times Bryant returned to play in the next week's game.
"It's a pretty scary feeling," Bryant said after returning to practice in October. "Your heart won't calm down. Fortunately, we've got a great staff on hand and they've got me doing the right things I need and I'm now back to normal."
Bryant indicated he had made some changes to guard against a recurrence.
"We're doing some things to prevent it from happening again," he said. "I need to try to cut out anything that may start this up, as well as taking some medication to help prevent it."
The 27-year-old Bryant started all 12 games this season for the Browns and made 45 tackles with 3 1-2 sacks. He had a career-high 10 tackles and two sacks in the season opener, but his production has steadily dropped and he has not had a sack in nine games.
The Browns placed him on the reserve/non-football illness list. Bryant played the previous four seasons with the Raiders, who signed the 6-foot-6, 310-pounder as an undrafted free agent from Harvard in 2009.
Bryant was not on the practice field Wednesday and coach Rob Chudzinski did not disclose why he would not be participating before the workout.
To fill Bryant's roster spot, the Browns promoted wide receiver Brian Tyms from the practice squad to the active roster.
Also, the Browns the released linebacker Justin Staples from the practice squad.
YPSILANTI, Mich. (AP) — Police have arrested two people in the fatal shooting of Eastern Michigan University football player at an off-campus apartment complex, the Ypsilanti school announced Monday.
One suspect was arraigned Sunday and the other was being
arraigned Monday in the slaying of Demarius Reed,
the university said.
University President Susan Martin issued a statement
thanking city and campus police investigators for their
work “in identifying suspects in this tragic and senseless crime
against a wonderful student and inspiring young man.”
“We have taken the first step in bringing about justice for
Demarius Reed,” City Manager
Ralph Lange said in a statement. Campus police Chief Bob Hedges said the arrests mean “that our community is safer and that justice will be served.”
Ypsilanti police Chief Tony DeGiusti identified one of the suspects as Ed. J. Thomas. The 20-year-old Detroit resident was arraigned Sunday on charges that include an open count of murder and armed robbery.
Police and the university didn’t release the name of the second suspect, also arrested Sunday and facing open murder and robbery charges. Court records obtained by MLive.com identify him as Kristopher K. Pratt, 20 of Detroit.
Thomas was in the Washtenaw County jail, and Pratt was jailed in neighboring Wayne County, MLive.com reported. It said Pratt was being held in another case in which he is accused of stealing a man’s Air Jordan shoes, then firing a shot at him.
The Washtenaw County public defender’s office declined to comment on the charges against Thomas and Pratt.
Reed was a 20-year-old communications major from Chicago and played six games this season, catching 15 passes for 185 yards. In high school, he played as a receiver at Chicago’s Simeon Career Academy.
He was fatally shot multiple times Oct. 18 at an off-campus apartment building in Ypsilanti in what police have said was a possible robbery.
University officials have said that they are hiring four more full-time police officers to support off-campus patrols.
“We know that our community is safer and that justice will be served,” said campus police Chief Bob Hedges.
Reed’s body apparently lay in a hallway without being reported because it was assumed he had passed out while partying, DeGiusti said.
“I realize that these arrests will bring a sense of relief,” the city’s police chief said. “However, it should not affect the level of vigilance that should be exercised regarding personal safety. People should still travel in groups when they can, they should avoid risk-taking behaviors, they should still be aware of their environment and most importantly people need to call the police when they see something suspicious.”
SYDNEY (AP) — Former rugby league player Anthony Mundine scored a sixth-round technical knockout over Shane Mosley in their WBA international super welterweight title fight on Wednesday, the first time the American has been stopped inside the distance.
Mosley, a 42-year-old with a record of 47-9-1, decided
to retire before the seventh round due to back spasms.
He said he would decide after he returns to the U.S.
whether he would retire.
"What's done is done," Mosley said when asked
whether he would fight again.
The 38-year-old Mundine improved to 45-5 with
26 knockouts at Homebush in western Sydney.
Mundine was leading 58-56 on two cards and
60-55 on the third.
"I was in killer mode, but my heart goes out to Shane,
I know he's a winner," Mundine said. "He's not one to
pull out for nothing. He's one of the greatest fighters to have ever lived."
The fight was delayed for five weeks over financial issues.
The contest was refereed by American Raul Caiz Sr., who has controlled two of Mundine's past bouts and one of Mosley's. Caiz stopped the fight on the recommendation of fight doctor Lou Lewis.
In another bout, former Canberra Raiders rugby league halfback Blake Ferguson lost a four-round unanimous heavyweight points decision to Luke Turner.
Ferguson, who finished 39-37 behind on all three cards, was released by Canberra in September after failing to appear before the board of directors following breaches of the club's code of conduct.
His rugby league career remains in doubt pending the findings of the National Rugby League integrity unit. He has also had to deal with two court cases regarding charges of indecent assault and driving indiscretions.
BY FRANK DROUZAS
ST. PETERSBURG — Hometown kid Clarence “The Truth” Booth put on another dominant performance Nov. 16 at the Bayfront Hilton in downtown St. Pete, co-headlining “Bombs Away at the Bay 2.”
The boxing event, promoted by Mad
Integrity Fight Sports in association
with One Punch Boxing, featured a
total of nine bouts with a host of
local and out-of-state talent.
“The Son of St. Pete” Booth faced
welterweight Terry Cade (4-5-1) from
Aiken, S. C.,—a late substitute for
Keuntray Henson. But the change
of opponents hardly seemed to faze
Booth, as he looked confident in
making short work of Cade.
The first round was punctuated with explosive combinations thrown by both boxers, but it was Booth that was in control as he backed Cade into a corner toward the end of the round and let fly with a furious flurry. When the fighters came out for the second round, Booth managed to corral Cade again into the corner and kept him there with punches of animal ferocity.
This time, he didn’t let his prey get away as Booth kept his opponent pinned in the corner for what seemed like a week. Cade simply tried to ride out the endless storm—never mind mounting a counter attack—but he couldn’t withstand the onslaught and the fight, scheduled for six rounds, was stopped at 1:33 in the second round.
It was Booth’s eighth pro fight and the victory improved the 23-year-old’s record to 7-1.
The co-main event had undefeated welterweight Amos “2smooth” Cowart of Groveland, Fla., going up against Jose Valderrama from Arecibo, Puerto Rico. A fierce puncher, Cowart staggered Valderrama with some heavy body blows, though Valderrama managed to jab his way out of trouble. Over the course of the four-round fight, however, Cowart wore Valderrama down with more body shots as he tried to set up his vicious uppercut.
In the second round Cowart knocked his opponent down, which brought fight fans in the Grand Bay ballroom to their feet, but Valderrama was able to get up and finish the round. But the punishment Valderrama had already absorbed was apparent as he came out in the third round like a man low on gas.
Cowart continued to unleash more thunderous body shots; some so loud that the sound of glove pounding flesh ricocheted against the back walls.
Early in the fourth round Cowart finally finished the job as he knocked down Valderrama a final time, putting an exclamation point on a fight he thoroughly dominated. The referee stopped the fight at 21 seconds into the round, and Cowart’s record improved to 8 wins and no losses, with one draw.
Valderrama, after a promising start in which he had won his first three bouts, dropped his next six including the TKO loss against Cowart.
Other action featured southpaw Marlon Farr from Zephyrhills battling Rashad Jones of Montgomery, Ala. It was a rather even fight, if not a bit dirty, as both super-middleweights kept throwing kidney punches to wear one another down. In the end it was Farr taking the four-rounder on a split decision.
Darrell Echols of Key West took on Clearwater’s Raynard Hill in a middleweight match in which Hill kept cutting off the ring, trying to corral Echols. Hill’s persistence paid off as he knocked his opponent down in the third round. Hill smelled blood and after waiting for the referee to give the mandatory standing eight count; he ripped into his opponent savagely, but Echols managed to survive.
It wasn’t until the final round that Hill put him away for good. After a series of furious combinations by Hill, the referee stopped the fight at 2:21 of the fourth round.
The bout between William Fauth of Orlando and Antonio Ojeda of Ft. Myers was a short one as Ojeda knocked down Fauth twice in the second round, prompting the referee to stop the fight and award the TKO victory to Ojeda in his first professional bout.
Jose Resendis, fighting out of Sarasota and also making his pro debut, took on lightweight Luis Rodriguez of Dania, Fla. Resendis scored a resounding win as he controlled the action and the pace from bell to bell. It was an entertaining fight with lots of action, but Rodriguez seemed to sense he was overmatched by the third round as he tried to keep away from the reach of Resendis. Rodriguez hung on throughout the entire bout, but when it went to the scorecards the unanimous decision in Resendis’ favor came as no surprise.
It took Shane “The Irish Tyrant” Tenney of Arcadia only 45 seconds to dispatch Christopher Sanchez of Puerto Rico. Tenney felled his opponent with a wall-shaking body shot in the night’s shortest contest and notched his first pro win in four tries with the KO.
In other action, Tampa’s Mike Bissett defeated Dan Bolden of Lakeland in a four-round cruiserweight clash. Bissett continually swung for the fences; unleashing looping punches all fight long. When he wasn’t trying to hit a home run, Bissett jabbed through Bolden’s defense and got to him repeatedly. Though Bolden hung on for the whole four rounds, it was a win for Bissett in a unanimous decision.
Darrell Jones of Jacksonville went up against Miguel Cruz of Lake Mary, Fla., in a one-sided bout that saw the quick-handed and dominant Cruz knock down Jones once in the first round and two more times in the next round. The fight was stopped at 1:23 of the second round as Cruz scored the TKO victory. With the win, the up-and-coming Cruz improved to a perfect 4-0 and is certainly a fighter worth keeping an eye on.
46 Years of Service to the Tampa Bay Area
This site was created by Elisa L. Sanders.
© 2012 All Rights Reserved by The Weekly Challenger and Elisa L. Sanders.